A sneeze is no big deal, right? Sure, when it’s a single occurrence. But what about when you just can’t control those frequent sneezing attacks? Let’s take a look at why you may be sneezing and how over-the-counter medications can help to stop sneezing. There’s not one cure but these tips will help you stop sneezing so you can reclaim your nose.
Why am I sneezing?
Sneezing occurs when there is irritation in the mucus membranes of the nose and throat. A sneeze is simply a sudden, forceful burst of air through the nose and mouth. While it can definitely be annoying, sneezing is rarely a sign of a serious problem. Here is what causes all those achoos:
- Allergies to pollen, mold, dander, and dust (hay fever)
- The common cold or flu
How can I stop sneezing?
1. It’s a good idea to avoid exposure to whatever is causing the allergic reaction.
- Change your furnace filters
- Don’t have pets in the house if you’re allergic to animal dander
- Travel to areas with low pollen counts
- Wash linens in very hot water (at least 130 degrees Fahrenheit) to kill dust mites
- Vacuum and dust frequently
2. If dry air is irritating your mucus membrane, it can induce sneezing attacks. It’s often an issue in very dry climates or in other areas during wintertime when the radiator is constantly running. When that’s the case, using a good humidifier, especially at night, can help you stop sneezing.
3. On the other hand, too much moisture in the air can bother the sinuses and cause sneezing. A dehumidifier or air purifier can help clear the air and help you stop sneezing. If you detect a musty scent in your home (it’s often obvious in basements), it could be a sign you have mold. There are many causes of mold so be sure to get your house checked. In some cases, you may need to move out of a home with a mold spore problem.
4. Sneezing can often be a symptom of an illness like the cold or flu. Usually, sneezing will go away once you heal. If you are sick, take good care of yourself! Stay hydrated, get lots of rest, and try some powerful cold remedies.
Gesundheit! Now that you know how to stop sneezing, you'll be able to start feeling like yourself again soon.